Tuesday 19 May 2015

Simonsvlei 2014 Lifestyle Shiraz & Chicken and Shrimp Casserole


I went onto the Simonsvlei website and read up on this shiraz before cracking open the bottle and it made me salivate. I couldn't wait to get home and have the aromas of plum and spice cling to my palate. 

I confess, I was rather disappointed at the taste as it was slightly stronger than I expected it would be. But that's all my own fault as I always raise my expectations and assume that whenever something has hints of any kind of fruit in it that I'd be drinking alcoholic fruit juice. My imagination tends to run wild in these cases. 

But I'm not one to waste wine. I chose this bottle of wine so I made it my duty to make sure I drink every last drop of it. By some divine intervention I realised by the end of the second glass that, hey, this shiraz is rather tasty!

So, so tasty. 

I decided to do my research and plan the meal I was going to make for it; a chicken and shrimp casserole. 

Of course, the classic and easiest way to choose the meals to have with your wine is to pair white wines with white meat and red with red but because the casserole is made with a tomato-based sauce I used that as excuse to get away with having a meal with two types of white meat with a dark red wine. 

And I wasn't wrong, either. The tomato in the food brought out the spice and nut flavours of the shiraz just beautifully. So much so that even though Chad didn't like this wine at all from the first sip he thoroughly enjoyed it with the food. 



Here's to the next bottle!

No comments:

Post a Comment